Saturday, January 16, 2010

Are You A Junkie?

Hello, my name is Dina and I am a food addict. I am addicted to food. I love it! I'm not afraid to try new things. But it comes with a price. I am a "food junkie" It's my drug, so to speak. I thought I had it under control in my life lately but it would seem I do not. I notice that if I slip up just one bite, I'm done for. Bring on the cravings! Then I have to start all over again, ridding my head of the cravings. Dang trigger foods!
So that brings me to a thought. What are the signs of food addiction? Is this all in my head, so to speak or am I really facing a problem here? I looked it up and here are some of the signs to look for. This could be you!

Food Addiction Symptoms
If you suspect you or someone you know of having a food addiction, here are some early warning signs for you to look for to help you with early detection of food addiction.


  • Obsessed with thoughts about food.
  • Eats to relieve worry or stress.
  • Eats until they feel sick.
  • Feels anxious while eating.
  • Worries or feels anxious while eating which results in more eating.
  • Overeats because the food is there.
  • Eats too fast so they can eat more.
  • Eats everything on the plate even when they feel full.
  • Feels guilty when they overeat.
  • Hides food so they can eat in secret away from other people.
  • Goes on a food binge after dieting or after trying to cut back.
  • Does not like the feeling of being hungry.
  • Sees food as something to be avoided or as harmful.
So out of those 13, I have 11. So then, what do you do if you know you have this problem? Go away to a deserted island until you are skinny! Okay, coming back to reality for a minute...
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. (Ok..did that just now)
Next, identify which foods are "your trigger foods". (Oh boy!)
An interesting find! Trigger foods are actually food allergies causing allergic symptoms and cravings. 
Trigger foods which when ingested cause negative symptoms and changes in the body but at the same time provoke cravings.

So, again, what do I do? 

  • Journal what I eat and my feelings toward food.
  • Find my trigger food.
  • Go to God. He heals!  

  • Get some accountability. I can't do this alone! 
Resources were found at http://www.allaboutlifechallenges.org/food-addiction.htm if you are interested in looking further into this yourself.




 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff girl! It's funny how when people think of addiction, we tend to think alcohol or drugs... but addiction expands to every area in our lives!!!