Thursday, August 16, 2012

What's My Payoff..Really?

Since I am into bike riding my bike now, it got me curious..what's my payoff? What sort of benefits will I reap? I know one thing, my legs are tight and killing me. When I finish riding, I am worn out and cant more for 30 minutes so I gotta be doing something right. So, it had me snooping to find the benefits to bike riding and here's what I found. In an article from Healthy Women...
Bike riding lets you add a fitness activity into your day even when you think you don't have time for a workout. "You get the same cardiovascular benefits from cycling that you get from any other form of aerobic exercise—walking, jogging or dancing," says Lisa Callahan, MD, medical director of the Women's Sports Medical Center at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. "It can be a very effective cardiovascular benefit."
Your muscles get a boost, too. Bike riding strengthens your thighs, hips and rear end. If your route includes climbing hills, your arms and upper body will benefit as you stand to pedal. What's more, cycling is gentle on your joints and helps preserve cartilage. That's especially advantageous for women who suffer from muscle strain, foot problems, knee troubles, back pain or impact-related injuries caused by running, jogging or walking, Dr. Callahan explains.

So there ya have it..seems there are good benefits to biking, so if you are like me and can't walk..try biking. I have logged so many miles in this week and quality time with my kids too all by riding my bike. And ya know what, I dont care if I look like a round blob on a bike, Im having fun!

I always like to give a good tip, so here's one if you have knee pain while walking or bike riding. Walmart sells a knee support strap..not a brace but a strap. It goes just under the knee and its a strap. It's from the makers of Mueller and it is amazing to stop knee pain. It's under $5 too!!! Here's a pic..




No comments: